The beach is not only the perfect place to have fun with friends, enjoy the sun, and splash in the water – it’s also an important ecosystem! That’s why it’s important to protect these beachy habitats and do our part to keep them litter-free. Here are 7 ways to have a waste-free day by the water!
- Natural sunscreen. Some sunscreens have chemical ingredients that can cause harm to our marine friends. If you’re near the ocean this summer, consider buying sunscreen that’s natural, or that explicitly does not include oxybenzone – which harms coral reefs! Want to get even more creative? Try to make your own homemade sunscreen!
- Biodegradable shampoo and soap. Take a quick dunk in nature’s biggest bathtub to scrub off – just make sure to use biodegradable and natural products to ensure you don’t cause any harm to our aquatic friends!
- A repurposed plastic bag that can be used for a quick litter pick up! Why not come prepared to do a quick litter scan while at the beach?! If you see some litter that’s safe to pick up, grab it and take it to the next closest garbage for proper disposal. Bring some gloves to be even more prepared!
- Homemade popsicles. Use reusable popsicle molds to make homemade popsicles with fruit juice, load them into a freezer bag to keep cold and head down to the beach with your frozen, waste-free treats in tow!
- An eco activity or craft. Bring an activity or craft that uses repurposed materials to keep you occupied while you enjoy the beachy breeze and sand! Try cutting out the lid of a plastic tub, such as a yogurt container, to use as a homemade embroidery hoop.
- A book about the environment. Read up on nature and the environment while you soak up the sun!
- Reusable cup and cutlery. Always bring a reusable cup and set of reusable cutlery to enjoy cold drinks or snacks beachside without the waste attached!