Today’s Eco Activity: Pinecone Bird Feeders
Even though the sky may have been busy with migrating birds this fall, there are plenty that will be sticking around long after the first major snowfall! When snow covers their habitat, it makes food-finding more challenging. This winter, you can be a birdy buddy by helping our feathered friends find an extra food source. Here’s how:
- Collect some large pinecones from the great outdoors!
- Fill a shallow bowl, pan, or cardboard box with birdseed.
- Sift through the birdseed and investigate the different seeds! It’s a fun sensory experience and you’ll get to do a little quality control work for your fluttering friends.
- Get to work covering the pinecones in thick honey or suet.
- Once the pinecone is totally covered, roll it around in your birdseed until it is all covered. Pro tip: leave the very top of your pinecones un-honey-ed for easier handling and ribbon-tying later.
- Tie on a ribbon, hang it from your favourite tree, and wait for your flying feathered friends to come and feast!
It’s almost the most wonderful time of year, and we’ve got TONS of exciting things planned that we know you’re going to love – but why wait?!
Each adoption kit purchased supports real conservation projects that make a big difference for the animals we love. Your plush package comes with a poster full of animal facts, plus a personalized certificate to display with pride – and don’t forget the adorable plushy any Earth Ranger is sure to love! Check them out in the Earth Rangers Shop today!
Already an Earth Rangers member? Be sure to make your purchase through the Earth Rangers App to earn the points and digital items that come with each adoption package!