Today is World Nature Conservation Day, and to celebrate we’re asking you to help some powerful pollinators in need of a new hive! Western bumblebees were once one of the most common and widespread bumblebees in western Canada, but their populations are shrinking as good habitat is becoming harder to find. That’s where you come in! You can help them along with more than 40 other bumblebee species in Canada.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- a ceramic flower pot with a hole at the bottom
- a small shovel
- hay or wood shavings
- a cover to protect the pot from rain (try a piece of wood, plate, or patio stone)
Here’s how to build your bee habitat:
- Dig a hole in the ground that’s deep enough to fit an upside-down flower pot inside
- Sprinkle hay or wood shavings in the hole. This will attract the Queen Bee.
- Put the upside-down pot in the hole, making sure none of it is sticking out of the ground.
- Put rocks on the ground around the pot and place a cover on top. Chose rocks tall enough to give space between the pot and the cover. The queen will need to be able to crawl in between and enter through the pot’s hole.
- Once finished, give your nest plenty of space. Bumblebees are very peaceful but may try to protect themselves if they feel threatened (that’s where they get their stinging reputation from!)
Share a photo of your Earth Rangers in action with the new BEEautiful habitat, tagging our official page & #SummerEcoActivity for a chance to WIN an Earth Rangers mystery prize pack! Make sure you also like & share the official contest launch post & follow our page to complete your entry!*
Want to really be a bumble bestie? How about getting a very cuddle-able new friend through our Wildlife Adoptions program, in support of the western bumblebee?
Plushie kits include an adoption certificate and a poster, and when you make your purchase through the Earth Rangers App your child will also earn points to help them level up on their Earth Rangers journey—plus a set of virtual rewards they can show off!
Are Digital Adoption packages more your style? They’re only $10 and an Earth Rangers App exclusive! These include a virtual badge, a virtual animal to accompany your avatar on the home screen in the app, a cool avatar bonus item, and a virtual adoption certificate!
Mark your calendars! On Tuesday August 11 and Tuesday August 25, we’ve got special interactive versions of our Facebook Live happening, thanks to our friends at BASF! Start collecting your ingredients now so you can join in the fun with Playful Polymers and make your very own SLIME!
- 5 tbsp of Elmer’s glue
- ¼ tbsp of baking soda
- Food colouring (2-3 drops)
- ½ tbsp of contact lens solution (Renu brand)