Foxes are fascinating animals, and that’s why we’re counting down our favourite fun facts about them! Which fox fact is your favourite? Leave us a comment to cast your vote.
1) A group of foxes is called a skulk or leash
2) Foxes have whiskers on their legs and face, which help them to navigate
3) Grey foxes can retract their claws like cats do
4) A male is called a ‘dog fox’ while a female is called a ‘vixen’
5) Foxes are generally solitary animals; unlike wolves, they hunt on their own rather than in packs
6) Foxes dig underground dens where they take care of their kits and hide from predators
7) Their pupils are vertical, similar to a cat, helping them to see well at night
8) The tip of a red fox’s tail is white, whereas swift foxes have a black-tipped tail
9) Foxes have excellent hearing. Red foxes can reportedly hear a watch ticking 40 yards away!
10) Foxes stink, their funny ‘musky’ smell comes from scent glands at the base of their tail
If you think animals are amazing, the Earth Rangers Podcast is for you!
Join Earth Ranger Emma as she travels the world on a quest to solve some of nature’s greatest mysteries! With top ten countdowns, animal guessing games and epic animal showdowns, this is a journey you won’t want to miss!