How much do you know about moose? Let’s see if any of these 15 amoosing moose facts stump you! Read through the list and make sure you remember your favourite so you can impress your family and friends with it later.
1. The moose is the largest member of the deer family.
2. A full grown male moose is taller than a horse and can weigh over 1300 lbs.
3. Moose are found across Canada, in every province and territory except for PEI.
4. Only male moose grow antlers.
5. Moose can have antlers that span up to 5 feet and weigh over 65 pounds.
6. Moose will lose their antlers once a year.
7. Moose can run up to 56 km/h.
8. Moose have wide hooves that act like snowshoes allowing them to walk on top of the snow.
9. Moose are excellent swimmers.
10. Moose can dive more than 5 meters underwater when searching for food.
11. A mature male moose is called a bull.
12. A female moose is called a cow.
13. A baby moose is called a calf.
14. The skin that dangles from a moose’s chin is called a “bell”.
15. You can help the moose this summer!
Until the end of the summer, anytime a donation is made to one of the Bring Back the Wild animals, a donation will go towards funding important moose research.
Plus, you can earn a limited edition moose plushie!
Let us know which facts surprised you the most by leaving a comment below!
Generously Supported by: