Today’s Eco Activity: Cut the SUPs!
Huh?! What’s SUP? Single-Use Plastics, that’s what! Things like plastic cutlery, bags, and straws not only take a lot of resources to make (contributing to climate change) but can also make their way into the environment, where they can harm animals. Unfortunately, plastic recycling doesn’t quite solve the problem since about 90% of plastic waste doesn’t ACTUALLY get recycled or reused—yikes! That’s why it’s so important for us to cut back on the SUPs in our lives whenever we can! Here’s how:
- Choose 1-3 single-use plastics that you want to cut out of your life.
- Download the SUP tracking sheet to record your family’s use of single-use plastics (try doing this challenge for a week).
- Avoid your chosen items each day, opting for reusable alternatives.
- At the end of each day, write down the number of times you and your family members said NOPE to SUPs.
- Add up your NOPEs to see who cut the highest number of single-use plastics from their daily life.
- Sign the pledge to continue to cut SUPs at home and beyond!