It’s #NoPlasticJuly!! A great way to start inspecting your family’s avoidable plastic use is to focus on one room at a time. Ever thought about what’s happening sink-side in your bathroom when it comes to plastic products, like containers that end up in the trash?
Your typical toothpaste comes in non-recyclable plastic tubes. Did you know you can make your very own teeth-whitening, breath-freshening blend right at home in a reusable container? Plus, the ingredients are super simple to find at your local stores and online, ready to order. That’s something to smile about!!
All you need is:
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda*
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1-2 tsp peppermint extract (or experiment by adding other extracts in your favourite flavour, like orange, vanilla, or cinnamon!)
- A small reusable container. This is a great chance to upcycle your jam jars!
Here’s how it’s done:
- Place all the ingredients together in your reusable container.
- Mix until you create a smooth paste.
- Apply a small amount of natural toothpaste to your toothbrush and brush away!
*Note: you can alter the amount of baking soda to your preference. For deep cleaning, add an additional ½ teaspoon. Or, if you have more sensitive teeth, use just 1 teaspoon.
Plus, you can take it to the next level by waving bye-bye to plastic toothbrushes! Think of how many plastic toothbrushes your family tosses in a year… You can totally take on a new tooth-tickler in order to reduce your family’s plastic consumption! Have you ever looked into alternatives like bamboo? Get online and start researching what your family can try together this summer!